Saturday 18 February 2012

Selfishness of Sin

So I have been working through roots of certain sin in my life, something which God has shown overwhelming grace and rich mercy. Essentially it is selfishness, which if I give into, brings me to a place of more sin, which manifests itself in many ways. Now I don't want go into the manifestations, but into the root, the heart of the issue, as Solomon said "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." (Prov 4:23)

For me it always starts at the point where I feel a spirit of entitlement (i.e. that somebody or the world owes me something) - this can be caused by many different things but for me often preceded good events (productive days at work, growing relationships, acts of generosity, etc) - this is where the devil tricks me into believing that because of all the good stuff "I" have done, I am entitled to something. This hinges on the fact that before I might be doing things out of love, out of a desire to bless or whatever, and then it flips on its head to where I do things for myself. Out of a desire to please myself (and I think in fact that I deserve), I remove myself from a place of sacrifice, submission, intimacy with God, to a place where I believe I should do what I want, and I act out of place where only I matter.

Of course the funny thing is that every time I give into the desire, the end result is that I feel unsatisfied. I know that all the things which the earth has to offer is incomparable to what God can offer me, through intimacy with him, who knows me and loves me immeasurably, and is doing all things for my good and His glory!

Ultimately "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it" (Ps 24:1), but "whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Cor 10:31), and not only that but "Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others" (1 Cor 10:24).

Oh God may I be compelled by your love, not by my own desires. Renew my heart, to feel your heart beat in this world, restore me to you. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment