Thursday 24 January 2013

School of Generosity #1

On Saturday 12th January I attended the first class of  'School of Generosity' at City Church, Kirkland. Below are a few of the key points I felt hit my mentally and spiritually.

People generally fall into 3 categories:

  1. Majority are drifters... not knowing who we are, where we are going - life being becomes survival.
  2. Smaller group are go-getters.... work heard, accumulate great wealth, only to realise that they have missed it all
  3. Minority actually discover who they are, what their purpose is, and live that out in a life of love, significance and leaves them fully satisfied.
(at this point I was thinking... hmm, I relate with the first 2 categories more than the last 1... but that is what I want)

The speaker went on to do talk about how God promises to be with us, to provide life in abundance  to provide for our daily needs. Deuteronomy 28: 1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God. (on a side note, I believe that God blesses us beyond purely material blessing - therefore we cannot measure God's goodness by our material blessing - as that is not of eternal significance!)

The second speaker had a few great points:
  1. He referenced the quote from the film 'Chariots of Fire', where the main character says "God made me fast, and when I run I feel his pleasure". Stepping into who we are made to be surely must give God great pleasure - just as I guess an earthly parent would feel great satisfaction seeing their child reach their full potential (which could be completely different to their other children!).
  2. Do I live as royalty? Living as sons and daughters of Christ the King! Not arrogantly, but humbly, stewarding the blessing, but also being confident in coming to Father as his children.
  3. Are we contagiously generous? We give, but ultimately everything we have came from him and is his...   On a personal side note, in Proverbs 19:17 it says "He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD" - and I believe the Lord's interest rates are ridiculous..
So why don't I give to him more? Probably out of fear that he won't give back, that it put me out and cause issues in the future... that is what I now need to work, but I am thankful that he is speaking to me, and giving me peace about it... know that I don't have to worry, as it is all his.

No comments:

Post a Comment